Sunday 25 November 2012

AUGH! No TIME!

Like Sands in the Hourglass....

It's been a crazy 2 weeks! Between family members showing up unexpectedly (My 74 year old aunt hitch-hiked in from Edmonton... ) and traveling here there and everywhere I've not had anytime for anything! AUGH! I missed my sewing machine!

I am starting to feel the strain of not having enough time, I did however make up some lost time with a vengeance yesterday and today and got 2/3's of the giant granny panties quilted:

I just have the outer edges to complete. I don't know if you can really see the pattern but it is a giant flower with 8 petals, I've been intrigued by the notion of zentangles but haven't gotten around to actually doing a quilt in that fashion. 
So I wanted something very feminine and elegant like the flower found in my Butterfly Quilt and I had to consider just how I wanted them placed, DING!! Lightbulb moment! 
Why not just combine the element of zentangles with the idea of a flower? So I sketched out the flower design I wanted, the very centre square is the sunflower flower found on Leah Day's Quilt along #40 and from there I did 4 huge petals like the cardinal points of a compass N S E W and 4 secondary petals in ordinal directions (NE SE SW NW).
The 4 major petals are filled with opposing patterns, paisley in E & W and flowing lines/echo shell in N & S petals. My flowing lines kept turning into echo shells, so the combination of the two is really quite cool:
The petal in the upper left contains the flowing lines/ echo shell combination, the ordinal petals I just simply echoed the shape or my original drawing and then a paisley petal.

It took me a couple of days to really get feeling this, I had to pick one of the petals apart since the shape was not right, it looked more like a beaver tail than anything. I did hand baste the shape I wanted before I picked the stitches which made all the difference, I think if I do this again I will use hand basting rather than pins or a combination of the two just so I don't have to fight with following lines that are unclear or blurred.  The one thing I really had to reign myself in on was being TOO fussy.... I was really hard on myself with this since it is for Mom and I want it perfect, I took my inner dialogue and kicked it's puny rear end into submission. Reality is, I am still a novice at this, the more I fussed the worse things looked. There are a couple of slight puckers (puckers piss me off...) nothing nearly as bad as what I had been noticing before I started stabilizing my quilts (thank you Leah Day!) but in my head they seemed massive and insurmountable, I had this strong urge to pick them out and redo the area but I realized if I kept doing that... this quilt would not get done and possibly it would get damaged by all the stitch ripping!
NO!, NO! I say, I shall not become perfect at stitch ripping! I will learn to pay attention to how my quilt feels under my needle and learn to spread my fabric better so it doesn't pucker! 
Once I made peace with myself and my inner dialogue I really began to see the work I was doing and I can now appreciate the effort more even if I am not 100% happy with it, Mom will be and that's what matters.

One my biggest motivators is the fact I have a official UFO. My Dad's quilt has been set aside so I could complete my Mom's and I realized I have less than a month complete it! I need to make 6 more squares and then put it together plus quilt it. If that wasn't enough I want to make 4 stockings (which are sitting at the guild in a WIP state) and to put a curve ball in the mix, I've been given my first commissioned quilt due in 2 weeks! Thank goodness it's a baby quilt which should be super simple and I am hoping I can knock it out in a few days.  That's all for this week... I hope.


Furiously being passionate about my machine....

Chris.

13 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are going to be one busy lady! Beautiful quilting - I hear you], I have been furiously passionate about my quilting lately too - 'tis the season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you are doing with the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilting is gorgeous. I'm right with you about the projects... I'm going to be at my machine all week and hope to make a dent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your quilts but I love the idea of your hitch hiking granny even more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Aunt is one crazy lady!! I keep thinking I should do a blog post specifically about her, she's just such an eccentric character. In her younger years she was a unicycler and was making movies in Japan :D

      Delete
  5. really interesting quilting going on there :) And I *love* those string blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sound very busy but in a good busy. Yes please do a post about aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Take a deep breath and then keep on quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep on going and don't let that inner voice stop you! So beautiful your quilting. I am really looking forward to getting my log cabin in the machine....I'm just a beginnger for machine quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chris I LOVE your mom's quilt. It truly is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck getting everything done! Your quilting looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic quilting! Good luck with all your projects.

    ReplyDelete

Due to increased spam activity, I've gone to moderating comments and if it continues I will have to enable captcha sorry everyone.