Monday 1 October 2012

Ode to my stitch ripper

Someday's it just doesn't pay to.....

Lose your stitch ripper!

So here is the completed quilt top, nicely pinned to the backing, or so I thought.  Turns out that I missed a couple of pins...





I started quilting this, I had planned on being done yesterday so I could donate this quilt to an auction for a young man battling cancer, if you've read my first blog post you'll know that children battling cancer is very close to my heart.

I was mostly finished when I flipped it over and discovered every quilters nightmare, the puckered tuck... and not just one but quite a few and they were large ones. I think I was in such a hurry I didn't pin properly and the backing slipped. No I didn't take a picture ;)
So while picking the stitches out... with my seam ripper... I ripped the backing fabric, and it is a completely unfixable tear.  
Moral of this story..... Use the right tool for the job! Oh and make sure your pins are secure!


I love the wave pattern she used.
Thankfully my guild came to the rescue and allowed me to pick one of the charity quilts to donate instead.
Beautiful backing.
This beautiful blue quilt was made by our Guild President Tonya, she also long armed it herself. The pattern is called Bento Box. I think it's a future pattern for me :D





I don't think I will be able to express enough gratitude for the generousity of my guild, I am a firm believer in keeping promises and it's nice to know that I have a go to problem solving group of women if I am in need of a helping hand.

So other than self medicating with cheesecake and netflix, I also accomplished more work on the building blocks quilt for my daughter.
I am using this quilt as a tester for all the different patterns I haven't had an opportunity to try yet. Here's my first attempt at paisley. I had an easier time with it than I thought I would. Still not perfect but not bad either.

I am also using a wave like stippling to move around the quilt, I am doing blocks of 4 in different patterns, the wave stipple will help fill the rest in, super quick and simple.

I think one of the biggest things I have to work on is size, I don't have a extension table nor a drop down sewing table so I am working with just a small space. I think I might try the blue foam insulation trick to give me a larger area to work in. 

Someday! LOL

Passion in frustration! 

2 comments:

  1. What a shame about the torn back on your charity quilt. Would you consider appliqueing something over the tear? Even on of the squares left over from the front would work. You could call it "back art"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I could Renate, I really did a number on it lol! The biggest problem is the multiple tucks from all the slipping, all my stitching has got to come out in order to fix it, the fabric is still mostly fine, I'll just recycle it into another project and create a new back. I think I will explore piecing up a back out of various scraps I have kicking around. Should be fun!

    ReplyDelete

Due to increased spam activity, I've gone to moderating comments and if it continues I will have to enable captcha sorry everyone.